It is that time of the year that one looks back and reflects upon the past, writes down plans and resolutions for the upcoming year. Today I would like to write about which products excited me most and which of them I ended up using more than the others. I photographed this rainbow today from my balcony, isn't it so pretty?
This year, it was full of new releases of pretty blushes. Cream blush lines of Dior and Chanel were introduced, then Dior changed the formula for their powder blushes and released many pretty shades with a nice texture. Although I like creme blushes and found myself using them from time to time, I mostly reach for powder products in this category, therefore my first three are powder blushes.
My Choice for Best Blush of 2013: Truly original to my stash, I found blush highlighting, defining and giving a healthy looking complexion at the same time.
Chanel Joues Contraste #84 Accent
Also very much loved (runner-up):
- Guerlain Crazy 68 Terracotta: yes I use this one as a blush and I am loving it
- Chanel Jouer Contraste #87 Emotion: One of the last JCs, I love its matte texture and the color.
- Armani Eccentrico: Pretty but unfortunately expensive, I haven't find the time to review it but check it out here, here and here)
As usual in 2013 Guerlain fired their best weapon, bronzers. They released a new range of Terracotta 4 Seasons to enhance different complexions as well as a beautiful all over glow/highlighing bronzer, Terra Ora. Dior released two seriously pretty duos which echoed through blogosphere for months, Paradise Duos in Coral and Pink Glow. Being on the more budget friendly end of luxury cosmetics, Clarins' Splendours bronzer also managed to stole my heart.
My Choice for Best Bronzer of 2013: I picked up 03 Naturel-Brunettes from Guerlain's new line of Terracotta 4 Seasons and ended up loving the matte finish and finely milled texture. I can also use it during winter by tuning the colors as needed.
Also very much loved (runner-up):
- Diorskin Nude Tan Paradise Duo 002 Coral Glow: This one had many reviews so I didn't review it but it made an appearance here and swatched together with 001 Pink Glow. I love how it served a purpose of bronzer and blush at the same time.
- Clarins Splendours Summer Bronzing Compact: My pick for the best value for money.
Category Eye Shadow Quad
Year 2013 was the year of pretty eye shadow quads, like every other year... You know my obsession of the products on this category and that I reviewed hundreds of those pretties last year, which made Stacey call me Eye Shadow Queen *chuckles*. You can imagine how hard it is for me to select only 3-4 of those, so I extended the list a bit.
My Choice for Best Eye Shadow Quad of 2013: Suqqu became easier to get hold of by the time Selfridges started shipping internationally. I was thinking that their spring collection had the prettiest quads I have seen but I was mistaken. Their Fall release made my heart skip a beat. Although I liked all three of them my favorite must have been EX-15. Or maybe EX-17? Or Ex-16? Ugh, I give up...
Suqqu Blend Color Eyeshadow EX-15 Hanaazuki or EX-17 Hatsuhimo
Also very much loved:
- Tom Ford Eye Shadow Quad #13 Orchid Haze: I know I was not very enthusiastic about that one mainly because of the decision to discontinue one of my favorite quads, Burnished Amber. Orchid Haze grew on me though and I found myself loving it more and more each day.
- Guerlain Ecrin 4 Couleurs #502 Coup de Foudre: This one was a very original and very pretty in my opinion. I loved how coral could work with the other shades. You can see an eye look at the bottom of the page here.
- YSL City Drive Palettes Wet & Dry Classy and Arty: It is no secret that I love pure chromatics line of YSL and these two limited edition releases were superb in terms of quality and creativity. I found myself reaching for Classy over and over again.
- Chanel Ombres Fleuries Quadra Eye Shadow in Délicatesse: It is not pictured below but I loved the silver and plum shades as well as the flower design of the quad. I wished Chanel would only release new quads with this texture.
- MAC Eye Shadow Quad in Bare My Soul: Another post which was ready but never published, I loved how the shades worked together and how they gave the gorgeous smokey eye, even in summer.
Category Eye Shadow Single
I am not a single girl. I mean in terms of my preferences when it comes to eye shadows. The only exception I make must have been a few cult items (Burberry Pale Barley, Le Metier de Beaute Corinthian, Rouge Bunny Rouge Delicate Hummingbird I am looking at you). But I do like creme eye shadows, be it as a base or on its own. In 2013 Dior released their creme eye shadow range, Tom Ford released two new shades for their summer collection and Chanel went on extending their Illusion d'Ombre range by both permanent and limited edition releases. One of the most exciting moments were the new Eyes To Kill shades released with Armani's Fall Collection, which had all interesting duo chrome colors.
My Choice for Best Eye Shadow Single of 2013: I thought nothing could be more prettier than Chanel IdO Illusoire but Fatal made me change my mind. With its subtle pretty silver shimmer and very buildable, easy to apply texture, Fatal became my mostly used creme eye shadow since the day we first met.
Chanel Illusion D'Ombre #837 Fatal
Also very much loved:
- Tom Ford Cream Color for Eyes Escapade: I have reviewed and worn here, it had the most opaque and easy to apply texture with a very soft and pretty color.
- Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill #30 Rose Popillia and others from Kaleidoscope Collection, they are all love to me but Rose Popillia has the most understated beauty.
- Diorshow Fusion Mono #381 Millennium and #881 Hypnotique: I loved Dior's new range of creme/mousse eye shadows, ended up reaching for these two shades most.
- Benefit Creaseless Cream Eye Shadow in Skinny Jeans: Benefit changed the package but left the popular formula untouched. Skinny Jeans is what I reach for when I would like to look chic but have no time for an elaborate make-up, an all time favorite.
Stay tuned for the second part of the post which has categories such as palette, lipstick, nail polish and best collection.
What were your best ofs? I would love to hear them!